INSIGHTS into the Motor Insurance Pool (MIP)

INSIGHTS into the Motor Insurance Pool (MIP)

Victims of road traffic accidents involving foreign registered vehicles have been accessing compensation under the Motor Insurance Pool (MIP) upon lodging their claims. Unfortunately, some claims have gone unpaid due to non-fulfilment of requirements.

Some policyholders or victims have not been lodging claims due to inadequate knowledge of the processes involved whist for some there is no attempt to lodge claims at all. In such instances, victims have been left burdened with medical bills from treatment of injuries sustained in the accidents or are unable to repair or replace damaged property. Following this realisation, the Insurance Council of Zimbabwe ICZ), administrators of the MIP, has embarked on an awareness campaign to make the public and policyholders aware of the existence and purpose of the insurance cover provided for under the pool.

Below are questions and answers providing information on MIP.

QN – What is the Motor Insurance Pool?

AN – The Motor Insurance Pool, commonly known as MIP is an insurance pool that is administered by ICZ and regulated by the Road Traffic Act.

QN – What insurance cover is provided under MIP?

AN – This insurance pool provides Third Party Motor Insurance Cover to every foreign registered vehicle that enters into Zimbabwe. This insurance cover is obtained from the Zimbabwe Revenue Authority (ZIMRA) at every border post.

This means that every foreign registered vehicle moving on Zimbabwe roads, be it a bus, cargo trucks or small private car, has Third Party Motor insurance cover.

QN – Who is covered by this insurance in the event of an accident with a foreign registered vehicle?

AN – This insurance covers

  • A local Third Party whose property has been damaged
  • A local Third Party who has been injured and or killed.

QN – Who is referred to as third party?

AN – A third party is a victim other than the policyholder who property that includes a vehicle that has been damaged or a person who has been injured or killed in an accident involving a foreign registered vehicle.

QN – What should someone do in the event of an accident?

AN – The driver of the foreign registered vehicle must report the accident to the Police. Following that both the driver and the third party should work together to collect all documents required to submit a claim for compensation.

QN – What documents are required for submission of a claim?

AN – The following are required:

  • Copy of MIP Insurance Certificate.
  • Police Report.
  • Copy drivers licences of drivers cars involved in the accident.
  • Completed claim form by either party.
  • Three quotations for repairing or replacing the damaged property.
  • Medical expense receipts or quotations for treatment if injured.
  • Death certificate provided by beneficiaries in the unfortunate event of death.

QN – Where should these documents be submitted?

AN – All claim documents should be submitted to Insurance Council of Zimbabwe offices, physically or by email.

ICZ is located at No 4 Josiah Tongogara Ave in Harare. Claim documents can also be submitted through email on [email protected]

Policyholders and victims are encouraged to submit all requested documents at once. Non-submission or partial submission of required information will result in non-payment or delay in processing of the claim.

QN – Is it possible for a victim to lodge a claim now for property damage or an injury that occurred in the past?

AN – Yes a victim or a policyholder may lodge a claim on the following conditions:

  • That the claim is less than 3 years.
  • That the victim or the policyholders is able to submit the required documentation.

QN – Who should people with enquires or needing assistance contact?

AN – Contact ICZ, as the administrator of the pool on   263 8677007101 or send an email on [email protected].

Follow the Insurance Council of Zimbabwe on Tweeter and Facebook for more information